Monday, November 26, 2012

college admissions essay

Option #3. Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence.
                Throughout my life there are many people that have had an influence me. The one person who has had the greatest influence on my life is Somerset head football coach, Bruce Larson. During the last three years of me knowing him, he has taught me many things. He hasn’t only taught me things about football, he has taught me thing about life and being a better person. He has influenced me teaching me the values of hard work and people get what come to them good or bad. 
                During the football season he teaches us things not only about football but about life. He preaches that hard work will get you far. You don’t have to the biggest, fastest, most skilled player ever, but if you work as hard as you can you will be able to make it. He always made the reference to the 2002 Spartans football team. That team won the school’s first State Championship.  They weren’t the most talented bunch of players, but they worked their butts off and because of that they were very successful. They wanted it more than anyone, worked hard to get themselves into that position, and performed on the big stage. 
                I’ve tried to work my hardest whether in the weight room, on the field or court, or in the classroom.  It's easy to sleep in during the middle of winter, but you can drag yourself out of bed at 5 o'clock and go and work out. If you work hard good things will happen to you.
               Another thing he has taught me is that people get what is coming to them. If you do what is right when nobody is watching, you don’t have guilt, and you have a clear conscience. Someone that has to constantly be looking over their shoulder to see if someone is watching will never get anything done. It almost goes along with the belief of karma. If you do things for others and help as much as you can, good things will happen to you. It’s the same way the other way. If you’re a self-centered jerk, you shouldn’t expect anything good in return from the people around you.
             Doing the right thing has paid off for me. I try to the best I can in everything that I do. I try to do what is right and keep a clear conscience. I believe there is a night and day difference in the behavior of the kids who have or haven't bought in to the way he wants things done.
                I am very glad that I have had the privilege of knowing Mr. Larson and playing for him. He has taught me many things from football to life. Hard work and doing the right thing will help you throughout life. This is how he has been a significant influence on my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment